Sunday, March 13, 2005

Houndstooth junket, serving the Hiccup Barrier...

So a number of years ago, when we all thought that Chow Yun-Fat's American superstardom was assured and my brother and I were snatching up all the Hong Kong action movies we could get our hands on, I purchased a movie called "Killers Two." This movie advertised itself as a sequel to John Woo's classic, "The Killer" The sequel had the same stars, Mr. Fat and Danny Lee, Even though Chow had both eyes shot out and died in the end. But, reality never really had a place in the great Hong Kong Action movie scheme of life, so we can look past that. He can always have a twin, like in "A Better tomorrow 2," and that movie is almost better then its predecessor. Almost.

Anyways, our infatuation with this genre of film waned when my brother moved away and he began to have an almost insatiable desire for the cinema of strange German men. I never found them as fun to watch without him after that, and while my friends generally enjoyed watching them, they never quite developed the taste that we had. Which is okay, you gotta move on, right?

Well, I watched "Killers 2" yesterday. I was looking forward to it. After all, the box said "definitely in the John Woo tradition" and the front has a picture of Fat and Lee looking like badasses with the caption: "2 Men, 50,000 bullets" how could I go wrong?

Well, everything could go wrong, in the best way. The video quality was horrible, the subtitles, tiny, blurry, unreadable. I gathered the plot was a rewash of the "Bullitt, protect-the-witness" kind of story. I fast forwarded through the middle third.
What was really great about the movie, what really sold me, was that John Williams did the soundtrack! Interspersed throughout the movie were snippets of music snatched straight from Star Wars and Indiana Jones. That's right, when Fat is giving this dude the beatdown of his life, it's music from when Yoda is telling Luke about the force! I loved this movie! You should see it.

The only real disapointment came with the advertised "50,000 bullets." It was about 49,995 bullets short. Fat just choked everyone he killed.



(note: this is my last truck stop post. Got a new job. It has to do with power tools.)











this is what blogs are about:
My Nothingness: Ah.. The Endurance..

3 comments:

sarcasmus said...

News Flash! My love of HK cinema didn´t die! HK cinema died! John Woo and Chow Yun Fat came to America and the both of them have yet to make a halfway decent movie! Meanwhile HK is undergoing an identity crisis. Japan is picking up the slack, however.

sarcasmus said...

News Flash! My love of HK cinema didn´t die! HK cinema died! John Woo and Chow Yun Fat came to America and the both of them have yet to make a halfway decent movie! Meanwhile HK is undergoing an identity crisis. Japan is picking up the slack, however.

Anonymous said...

Respiratory Therapists