Saturday, March 05, 2005

My Kingdom for a Camera and the Persistence of the Other

Driving to the truckstop this evening (Saturday mind you-this fucking sucks!) and on the entrance to the highway is always one of those begging- sign holders guys. He always sits huddling on a bucket and limply holding his sign. Sometimes I imagine he's dead.

Well, tonight he was there as usual, but I could barely see him cause next to him standing was this middle aged Hispanic couple, looking equally as distraught, weather worn and destitute, but they weren't holding any sighing. The man was looking at nothing, smoking a cigarette, the woman was smiling. As I passed them, the woman held her two fingers up to me, in a peace sign. I smiled back, wishing I had a camera, for one of those "only-in-America" snapshots of human existence.

I spent part of the rest of the drive wondering whether or not that photo should have been in black and white or color.

An hour later an old timer truck driver and I were talking about how long the bolts of a truck antenna mounting bracket should be. The quit (real Freudian slip kept there on purpose) er...kit comes with inch and a quarter bolts and he tells me that there is no way that they would ever work. They had to be an inch and half, at least...

Today I was wondering what I was going to do for dinner. My girlfriend and I are broke, she put together all our change this morning, it came to ten bucks and we walked to Albertson's and bought milk, eggs and blueberry muffin mix. We ate all the muffins and watched the last part of the fellowship of the ring and the first part of the two towers. I hope she's not finishing it while I'm working tonight. Anyways, dinner. Suddenly our buzzer rang. We immediately thought it was going to be our friend who usually shows up unannounced. But it wasn't. It was her father, who came down from Ft. Collins to buy a car. He was hungry. So the three us walked down to the Chipotle and he bought us Burritos.

<>
Kinda a lame blog story I realize, but it has perhaps a good point. That being poor sucks, I mean it has really no redeeming qualities, except for perhaps to the fact that it brings out the best in the ones you love and care about. Because it seems to me that the support and encouragement that they have given us is more valuable than the money itself. So, thanks to both our Moms and Dads, bros' and sis's, and Anthony.


Last night I learned that a guy I hung out with maybe twice two years ago killed himself a couple of weeks ago. It's the second suicide I had to deal with in the past year. And I have come to the following conclusion: Suicide is the worst. Worse than any other kind of death. This guy, he was real quiet and one of the times we hung out we went to one of the most loud, horrible, fratty bars in Denver, Croc's. And we were not fit for this place, but I remember having fun, dancing to horrible music, trying to get him and the others to dance, to no avail. That was the night that I got yelled at by a construction guy cause I reached into his car for no reason other than his window was open. He was driving a bulldozer at the time. I think I ran. I remember throwing up, "micro-bursting" on the light rail station.
The second time, we went to Casa Bonita. 'nuff said...

Rest Easy, Brother.

<>

3 comments:

sarcasmus said...

i don´t remember what I was going to say. I asked the girl at the desk if I could upload my pictures and she took my camera and pointed at a CD. So I guess she´s uploading my pictures. I´m just killing time in the interim.

I like taquitos.

sarcasmus said...

Oh yes. One thing about being poor. Though I´ve never been truly poor, even though I have been with no credit or cash for extended periods (no more than a month). It is good for you because you realize that you don´t need to buy things to be happy. Also, simple things make you happier, such as a good hot meal or beer. Since I´ve become a member of the MOMA and have been living in Spain...it´s all just a hazy dream. But I´m sure it will all come to me again, very soon.

Amelia said...

Yes, I was watching the second half of the Two Towers while you at work, then I started back at the beginning of Fellowship and watched the commentary...then I fell aslepp. That's something else about being poor, you don't have cable, so your DVD collection becomes very important.


Good point Sarcasmus. Having no cash does make the small things seem a lot bigger and better than usual. I too thank everyone for their help while we, er, readjust our fiscal situation.